Monday, September 14, 2009

Homework for Tomorrow 9/15

831, 832 834- You MUST read X pages of your Independent Reading book and write a thorough personal response that reflects how you are feeling as a reader and which portions of the text you found interesting or important. BE SURE TO USE TEXT EVIDENCE to support what you are talking about. A sample personal response is posted below.

831: X = 20 Due tomorrow
832: X = 30 Due Wednesday
834: x = 15 Due tomorrow


Personal Response for Romeo & Juliet: I really liked the play. At first I thought I wouldn’t because the language was really hard to understand, but then we started to act bits out and we watched the movie and followed in the book. After we studied a few scenes in detail and learnt about the ‘thees’ and ‘thous’ it got much easier. My favorite scenes are the balcony scene and the scene where Mercutio gets killed. When Romeo climbs up to see Juliet after the party and says “But soft, what light through yonder window breaks, it is the east and Juliet is the sun” I think it’s really amazing. I understand why it’s so famous. I wish someone would compare me to the sun! The whole of that scene is so romantic because he compares her to lots of beautiful things. The scene where Mercutio dies is powerful in a different way: when he shouts “A plague on both your houses” it really makes me want to cry. Mercutio didn’t deserve to die – it was so pointless. The final scenes where Romeo and Juliet kill themselves and their families realize the damage they have done are really emotional too. By the end of the play, when the Prince is warning them never to fight again, it makes you feel like screaming ‘this was your fault’ to both sets of parents. The play ends just as the prologue tells you it will – and leaves you full of anger, sadness and frustration. It teaches a powerful lesson in putting aside differences and not teaching others to hate. I’m really glad I read this play and now don’t feel so scared about reading Shakespeare.